Senior Category Lead (Supply Chain)
- Have overall category performance accountability for highly complex categories – those with a combination of higher spend, organizational impact, risk, change, market complexity and stakeholder considerations. Achieve financial, operational and market targets for assigned categories.
- Build and lead effective cross-organizational teams (including business representatives from multiple Business Groups, Sourcing and Contract Management Advisors and Business Improvement Advisors) through disciplined category management processes. Lead the team to develop and implement strategies that will meet specified objectives and targets. Proactively brings new concepts/opportunities, information, methodologies, and tools to the table to spur innovative thinking, problem solving and decision-making.
- Make recommendations to senior management and executives on strategies and issue resolution that balances competing needs and objectives. Ensures the development of compelling business cases to support decision-making and obtain approval.
- Develop and manage project plans to ensure strategies are developed and executed on schedule and achieve projected benefits.
- Regularly engage effectively and appropriately with all levels of the organization from front-line employees to senior management and executives.
- Write and present business plans, briefs, category management plans and other documents to management and key internal and external stakeholders.
- Develop in-depth knowledge of current/future business objectives, needs, requirements and specifications related to their categories and will work effectively to influence, shape and align these across the organization where appropriate to get the best responses from the marketplace.
- Anticipate and assess supply chain risks and business impact within the category and develop and recommend solutions.
- Lead research and analysis of the category and external market to ensure in-depth expertise. Be a recognized category expert, relied upon to provide insight and advice to the business and senior management and other Supply Chain team members.
- Make recommendations to senior management on category definition and organization to best reflect organizational needs and market structure.
- Regularly manage extensive consultation with a diverse group of internal and external stakeholders.
- Develop the strategy and manage the implementation of supplier relationship management plans. Coordinate the management of complex supplier relationships across BC Hydro. Lead negotiations with suppliers. Resolve escalated supplier issues. Ensure contracts are being managed to meet objectives.
- Monitor contract and supplier performance including KPIs, review with business groups to improve future performance and strategy development.
- Pro-actively lead ‘lessons learned’ exercises; recommend changes to ensure the continuous improvement/redesign of category management processes as required to ensure rigour, efficiency, provide superior service and derive more value.
- Provide leadership, coaching / mentoring to develop skills, knowledge and build capacity within the category management, supply chain and business unit teams.
BC Hydro’s Supply Chain function is integral to keeping the business running and the lights on. BC Hydro is transforming its Supply Chain model through the implementation of a full category management capability to better meet the business’ requirements for quality, safety and reliability in what we buy for the best total cost and to ensure mutually beneficial supplier relationships. The Operations & Enterprise Supply Chain group is accountable to develop and implement strategies for the key categories that account for over 80% of BC Hydro’s annual $2 billion expenditures. Categories are in the areas of: Enterprise, Major Equipment & Engineering, General Contracting & Technical Services, Materials & Logistics and Field Support Services.
As part of the build out of the category management capability, BC Hydro is looking to fill a Senior Category Lead role. The successful candidate will be a senior, experienced supply chain or business professional with a proven ability to achieve significant business change and benefits targets in a complex environment through exceptional strategic thinking, influential leadership, flawless project execution, change management and effective relationship management.
Reporting to a Category Portfolio Manager, the Senior Category Lead [SCL] is accountable for the ongoing overall management of their assigned category(s) performance, spend, and the relationships with suppliers, business unit owners and stakeholders. The SCL will ensure the appropriate application of the full life-cycle of category management activities. Utilizing a structured, in-depth process, with governance gates and business case requirements, the SCL will lead a cross-organizational team(s) to develop multi-year strategies, obtain approval, and implement resulting strategies and plans. Strategies will include those related to sourcing, business change/process optimization, supplier relationship and contract management and procure-to-pay improvements. The SCL will monitor performance, take corrective action when necessary and respond appropriately to business and market changes to ensure continuous business process and category improvement.
- University degree (Bachelor’s, MBA or Master’s preferred) in business, supply chain, engineering, finance or related degree.
- Minimum of 12+ years strategic level related business experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- One or more professional designations and/or certifications (eg. SCMP, APICS, PMP, P.Eng, etc). *Experience working in a business environment that is complex, with multiple stakeholders and strategic considerations.
- Senior level experience in business strategy development and implementation that has resulted in measurable operational performance and multi-million dollar impact.
- Demonstrated knowledge and results in implementing multi-step, structured category management or business improvement/planning processes.
- Proven ability to lead through influence, utilize business acumen to determine best course of action and tradeoffs, and resolve conflicts.
- Demonstrated strong project management and planning skills. Experience utilizing formal project management methodologies.
- Ability to multi-task and simultaneously manage multiple complex / large projects with deadlines and deliverables.
- Demonstrated experience leading complex negotiations, managing supplier relationships and resolving supplier and contractual issues while preserving relationships
- Highly skilled in change management and excellent interpersonal skills, communications, relationship and coalition building and persuasive influence skills.
- Strong analysis, risk assessment and business strategy skills to lead teams through complex business issues.
- Results oriented. Strong team player, ability to work independently.
- Leadership, coaching / mentoring skills.
- Proactive, adaptable to changing needs, strategic thinker.
- Excellent written and presentation skills.
- Expertise in areas related to BC Hydro category portfolios.
- Working knowledge of procurement processes, strategies, supplier management and contract management preferred.
To apply, click here.