Project Engineer - Integrated Projects
Location: Canada, Alberta, Calgary
End of contest: February 16, 2014
Type (Full time / Part time):
AltaLink is Alberta’s largest transmission company, supplying safe and reliable electricity to more than 85% of Alberta’s population. AltaLink is taking on new challenges in the middle of Canada’s fastest growing economy. We are doing everything in our power to attract and keep the best and brightest to expand our team of top-notch professionals. We are proud of our collaborative culture, expertise and record of safety and operational excellence. We offer work with meaning, incredible opportunities for development, work life balance and opportunities to contribute to your community. Join our growing team! AltaLink Integrated Projects Department has a current opening for a Project Engineer on capital replacement and maintenance project work. As Project Engineer, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing technical leadership and work with other disciplines and technical specialists to develop project scoping documents. The project engineer will be responsible for controlling the technical content of capital replacement and maintenance projects to ensure that new substation, telecommunications and transmission line facilities are appropriately integrated into Alberta's high voltage transmission system. The successful candidate will also be responsible for managing their assigned projects and for controlling costs, schedule and quality from project scope definition through acceptance and energization. The candidate will work collaboratively with industrial and other utility customers connecting to the AltaLink high voltage system as well as the Alberta Electric System Operator (AESO) on engineering issues to ensure customer needs are met. In this position, the candidate will support designers in the specification and procurement of equipment and ensure materials are available for project execution. . Additionally the candidate will be responsible for implementing technical designs and performing engineering design reviews. This position will appeal to Engineers with leadership skills and ambition to be the technical leader and for Transmission line, substations, protection and control, telecommunication & SCADA capital maintenance and direct assign projects.
- Provide technical leadership for assigned projects from inception through scoping, technical definition, engineering and construction support through to acceptance and energization.
- Develop project scoping documents with input from other disciplines to generate project cost estimates.
- Prepare Design Basis Memorandum (DBMs) and Scope Documents for internal and external designers.
- Work with customers to fully understand their needs when developing DBMs and scope documents.
- Develop project execution plans for engineering from start to completion.
- Provide technical direction and respond to technical questions from internal designers and external contractors.
- Report project engineering status to Project Managers and Engineering Manager.
- Review technical drawings & specifications to ensure projects meet Altalink Standards.
- Assist with the development of functional criteria and standards.
- Implement technical designs in support of projects.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering or Civil Engineering.
- Member of APEGGA in good standing or eligible for membership as P. Eng.
- 5 years of engineering experience in utility transmission lines, or substations, or both.
- Able to take leadership role for resolving technical issues.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership and strong interpersonal skills and ambition to further develop those skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage a wide variety of technical and management issues on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Creative, innovative and skilled at problem solving.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to manage a wide variety of issues on multiple projects.
- Proven track record of good performance and attendance. NOTE: AltaLink employees should be aware that we may contact your manager during the selection process.
Only the candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted.
2611 3rd Ave SE