Transmissions Lines Engineer
Location: Canada, Alberta, Calgary
End of contest: March 2, 2014
Type (Full time / Part time):
AltaLink is Alberta’s largest transmission company, supplying safe and reliable electricity to more than 85% of Alberta’s population. AltaLink is taking on new challenges in the middle of Canada’s fastest growing economy. We are doing everything in our power to attract and keep the best and brightest to expand our team of top-notch professionals. We are proud of our collaborative culture, expertise and record of safety and operational excellence. An opportunity currently exists for Transmission Lines Engineer in the Operational Engineering team within the Asset Management Department at AltaLink. Reporting to the Manager, Operational Engineering, the successful candidate will be part of a multi-disciplinary engineering team responsible for direction, analysis, records and resolution of operational issues on AltaLink’s transmission facilities in Alberta, which range from 69kV to 500kV. This position will appeal to team oriented individuals with a background in transmission lines, who are looking for the opportunity to develop their engineering and leadership talents in a dynamic utility environment.
- Support AltaLink’s safety culture and Near Miss/Hazard Reporting Program;
- Perform root cause failure analysis (RCFA) investigation, analysis and reporting on transmission line equipment failures;
- Perform thermal rating calculations, and develop and update transmission line continuous and temporary ratings;
- Design and develop custom tools for maintenance and construction of transmission lines;
- Provide engineering support on requests related to AltaLink’s existing transmission line assets. Requests come from internal engineering teams and field staff;
- Provide engineering support and guidance on proximity, encroachment and crossing (PEC) requests from third parties or internal project teams;
- Provide engineering support on high load moves, and oversee and support the contractors that manage these moves;
- Provide analysis of existing transmission lines for system performance enhancements and recommended standards changes and upgrades;
- Review and validate the technical content of return data on new or modified transmission lines. Ensure that applicant codes have been adhered to, and that the data can be entered into asset databases;
- Review and approve live line work procedures;
- Support the development processes and procedures for high risk work;
- Provide engineering support to field staff and the safety department on equipotential bonding and grounding (EB&G) and live line practices;
- Provide engineering design support on the emergency response to transmission line failures;
- Support internal project engineering teams with scoping and executing capital projects and maintenance;
- Review and approve co-locates and joint use applications on transmission facilities;
- Provide mentoring and guidance to junior staff as required, assisting with their development and growth.
- Provide input to new line designs and verify that designs adhere to applicable codes and standards for construction, safety, operation and maintenance;
- Provide input on transmission line standards and associated specifications of materials and equipment used on transmission lines.
The minimum qualifications for this position are, as follows:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical or Civil Engineering;
- Registered or eligible to register as a Professional Engineer or Member-in-Training in Alberta;
- Minimum of 3 years of utility transmission lines experience;
- Proven background in codes and materials used for transmission line construction and maintenance for voltages 69kV and up;
- Team player with the ability to motivate and positively influence others, and develop strong internal and external relationships;
- Background in transmission line EB&G and grounding practices would be an asset;
- Familiarity with live line maintenance practices and standards, as well as arc flash theory and calculations would be an asset;
- Knowledge of applicable standards such as CSA, IEC, IEEE, and ANSI;
- Proven familiarity with electrical code clearances and issues with 25kV underbuild or attachments;
- Demonstrated problem solving and analytical skills with the ability to work within strict deadlines;
- Proven skills with computers, databases and software such as PLSCADD;
- Familiarization with ESRI and ArcGIS would be an asset. NOTE: AltaLink employees should be aware that we may contact your manager during the selection process.
Only the candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted.
2611 3rd Ave SE