Protection Maintenance Specialist - Relocation to Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Manitoba Hydro International Ltd.
Location: Saudi Arabia, , Riyadh
End of contest: February 21, 2014
Type (Full time / Part time):
Manitoba Hydro International Ltd. (MHI) assists power utilities, governments, and private sector clients around the world in the efficient, effective, and sustainable delivery of electricity and natural gas. Utilizing the experience and human resources of its parent, Manitoba Hydro, MHI has provided utility and asset management, consulting, and training solutions to over 75 countries worldwide.
The Managing Director, Subsidiary Operations, and Branch Manager, MHI Saudi Arabia is seeking a Protection Maintenance Specialist for a minimum period of 12 months for its Branch Office in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
The Branch Office of Manitoba Hydro International Ltd. in Saudi Arabia has a contract with National Grid, the Transmission Company in Saudi Arabia. This contract provides technical expertise for both Operating and Maintenance of the Transmission System at voltages between 110 kV and 380 kV. The power system in Saudi Arabia has an annual growth rate of 10% and the peak demand in 2012 was approximately 45,000 MW.
MHI has engaged in business in all of Saudi Arabia’s four major cities. Riyadh is the capital city and is where the majority of the staff is located. Among other benefits, staff and their families receive relocation assistance, an annual travel allowance and furnished accommodations in Riyadh in the Al Waha Compound in the northwest corner of the city, near King Saud University. For more information on the compound, visit http://www.areco-alwaha.com/.
Under the direction of the MHI Branch Manager, the Protection Maintenance Specialist as an expert in the testing, maintenance, commissioning, modification and troubleshooting will provide the Technical Expertise to review, update and unify Protection Maintenance procedures and standards across the Kingdom.
The Protection Maintenance Specialist will:
- Review all existing Protection Maintenance procedures and standards for the calibration, functional, and operational tests required along with related documentation and record keeping procedures. These procedures and standards will be updated to international standards and unified across the Kingdom.
- Conduct field inspections, review system disturbances and investigate all protection mis-operations. Reports will be prepared and recommendations will be made for changes as required.
- Work with the Area Protection staff to review protection coordination issues in each Area, assist in making recommendations, and implementation of solutions.
- Provide training and guidance to technicians, journeymen and trainees in the performance of regular maintenance on protective relaying, metering and control equipment on system generation and transmission facilities.
- Work with the Technical Institutes to ensure Protection Trainees follow the latest standards and procedures.
- Ensure duties performed by Protection Maintenance staff comply with utility standards and regulatory environmental requirements.
- Provide a biweekly report to the MHI Branch Manager for inclusion in the Branch biweekly reports.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the MHI Branch Manager or the National Grid Maintenance Manager.
The successful applicant will have a degree in Electrical Engineering from an institute of recognized standing and a minimum of ten years of experience as an Engineer in the Protection field. You will have advanced knowledge and demonstrated proficiency of current protection maintenance procedures including a good understanding of all modern protection schemes, and electronic theory (digital, solid state, and analog), techniques and applications. You will also have demonstrated knowledge in the application and use of protection test equipment and ability to troubleshoot protection mis-operations, recommend and implement corrective solutions company wide.
You must be physically capable of performing the duties of the position, and will be required to work independently or as a member of a team with demonstrated leadership skills related to planning, organizing, directing and controlling activities of assigned staff and dealing in administrative matters related to all work situations.
A valid International Drivers' Licence and current passport will be required for this overseas assignment.
To learn more about this position or apply online, visit our website at www.hydro.mb.ca/careers. The deadline for applications is February 21, 2014. We thank you for your interest and will contact you if you are selected for an interview.
Compensation: Manitoba Hydro International Ltd. offers a competitive salary and benefits package and working conditions that provide for a balance approach to work, family life and community.