Electrical Engineer (ID 2030BR)
Shell Canada Limitée
Location: Canada, Alberta, Fort McMurray
End of contest: March 11, 2014
Type (Full time / Part time):
Reporting to the Electrical Engineering Manager, the Electrical Engineer is accountable for the integrity, reliability and operability of all electrical designs & installations at the plant. The Electrical Engineer will advise the Technical, Maintenance & Operations departments on electrical matters to ensure safe, reliable & efficient operation and ensure compliance to provincial & federal codes & standards.
- Site technical specialist providing advice, leadership, auditing and design control of electrical activities to all departments.
- Develop electrical safety, protection and safeguarding philosophies.
- Responsible for the review and approval of electrical activities with risk under the Shell Canada Electrical Safety Standard.
- Leads critical task analysis for such work
- Conducts or leads failure analysis and causal investigation of electrical failures or incidents.
- Authorizes plant changes within the electrical discipline and contributes to, reviews & approves electrical content of plant changes by other disciplines
- Authorizes electrical installations by the Projects Group
- Provides leadership and training for maintenance personnel in the electrical discipline.
- Leads or champions electrical equipment upgrade and replacement planning.
- Manages the turnaround electrical plan and work list, and oversees implementation of electrical work during turnarounds.
- Work collaboratively and seamlessly with pan TAE teams and wider organization stakeholders.
The electrical engineer must be capable of delivering with clarity and conviction. He/she must achieve safety, reliability and operability over a large complex. This position must be efficient at determining which activities deserve the most priority and resources.aThis position will work closely within a team of five electrical engineers in the department.
- Bachelors Degree in Electrical Engineering
- Eligible for Professional status from APEGGA as a PEng
- Relevant petro-chemical industrial experience (or equivalent) covering all aspects of design and engineering in the electrical discipline; preferably in a refinery or large industrial facility.
- Maintenance or operations experience, preferably in oil sands and/or petroleum refineries.
- Utilization of problem solving techniques to resolve design & engineering issues.
- Experience with design, specification, and procuring of electrical equipment and systems
- Competence in application of industry standards and practices to all aspects of electrical power distribution and process electrical installations
- Competent with application and understanding of relevant standards: IEEE; IEC; API; NEMA, NFPA, CSA, NEC.
- Proven ‘Safety-by-Design’ experience in the oil sands or petroleum refining industries, particularly as it relates to arc flash hazard mitigation and hazardous area classification.
- Familiar with Alberta Safety Codes Act as it applies to electrical regulatory management for accredited entities
- Knowledge of HV substation and HV transmission design and operation
- Ability to work effectively within a multi-discipline team environment consisting of Engineering, Projects, Maintenance, and Operations in order to manage the execution of the detailed electrical engineering design work and troubleshooting
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Shell Canada Limitée