Resolves problems of complex scope. Assignments may provide an opportunity for creative or non-standard approaches. Under general direction, independently plans work to meet assigned general objectives. Work may be reviewed upon completion; solution may provide an opportunity for creative/non-standard approaches.
Provide protection engineering support for projects and studies. The engineer may perform the following job duties for transmission voltages 230 kV and below:
- Issue protection requirements and prepare description of operations for non-standard and localized SPS schemes' Conduct short circuit studies, calculate short circuit line impedance
- Determine and issue relay and automatics settings
- Support relay system installations, such as review test program, end-to-end test, load check, direction check, relay release, etc.' Conduct area coordination studies
- Participate in project walkdown and project meetings
- Provide construction drawing reviews
- Update and maintain records, such as Aspen relay data base, transformer data sheet, short circuit base case, hard copy files, automatics data base, job files, port assignment sheets, breaker files, etc.
- Review and approve new tools and training prior to rollout
- Design and set localized SPS schemes based on Operation Engineering requirements
- Identify existing protection deficiencies
The engineer is also assigned to provide normal and emergency maintenance and operation support, and may perform, but is not limited to, the following tasks:
- Provide fault location
- Investigate questionable relay operations, perform remote event retrieval and implement corrective actions' Process clearance request and provide specific protection setup
- Assist technicians, operators for routine maintenance and operation work
- Provide project and routine M&O support to Hydro generation and distribution planning engineers.
- Manage digital fault recorders and perform event retrieval
- Conduct FERC generation interconnection studies and third party load interconnections
Perform protection work on large and complex projects with some supervision and coaching
Performs root cause analysis and makes recommendations to address implications under emergency conditions.
Mentor lower level protection engineers To implement various aspects of the above job requirements, will work with all levels of personnel to obtain cooperation, persuade, exchange and/or provide information. Lead and/or attend meetings representing the group to perform job duties.
External contacts limited primarily to obtaining, exchanging and providing information to vendors, manufacturers, other utilities, and consultants on non-routine issues. May participate in professional affiliations (i.e. PSRC, IEEE) to keep abreast of new industry trends, developments and procedures.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited curriculum in the US or the equivalent from outside the US
- 3 years of cumulative experience in the field of system protection
- Current and active California PE license
- Ability to calculate relay settings for all station automatics schemes, transmission line relaying, transformer bank protection, bus protection, generator protection, and breaker failure schemes
- Thorough computer application and fault analysis program knowledge
- Knowledge of symmetrical component theory and ability to perform fault calculations
- Understanding of logic gate theory and control circuitry
- Knowledge of protection equipment, instrumentation and test procedures
- Ability to analyze relay operations and determine fault locations
- Able to work with moderate supervision and guidance to meet project commitments, both independently and/or as a member of a team
- Able to understand and implement the technical requirements of interfacing engineering disciplines
- Demonstrates informed judgment when making decisions and recommendations
- Uses independent judgment in applying engineering principles and techniques to determine cost effective and practical solutions
- Ability to manage and complete numerous non-conflicting projects concurrently
- Interprets applicable codes, industry standards and regulations and educates others
- Can provide thorough analysis of issues and justification of recommendations
- Takes ownership of problems and their solutions