Senior Consulting Protection Engineer (Req: 51838542-E01)
Location: United States, California, Fresno
End of contest: May 2, 2014
Type (Full time / Part time): Full Time
May perform all the functions of Associate, Journey and Senior Protection Engineer, and in addition:
- Manage large highly complex projects and perform engineering analyses, studies, and develop conceptual designs
- Develop innovative solutions to solve challenging technical issues
- In emergencies, acts as a lead in root cause analyses and makes recommendations to address local and system-wide implications
- Represent PG&E at external industry associations, committees, trade organizations and other inter-utility groups
- Perform protection job duties for transmission voltages 230 kV and below
- Perform protection job duties for distribution voltages
- Develop technical policies, procedures, and contributes to the development of standards, specifications, construction documents, and guidelines
- Resolves problems of complex scope.
- Serves as a key technical resource within system protection.
- Regularly expected to apply creativity or new approaches to assignments that may be unique.
- Will receive technical guidance from Principal engineers.
- May lead others on technically complex projects.
- Under general direction of supervisor, plans work to meet general objectives.
- Work may be reviewed upon completion; solution often provides an opportunity for creative/non-standard approaches.
- Internal contacts include project team members, managers and directors across various departments.
- Serves as the most senior technical expert on the team.
- External contacts limited primarily to obtaining, exchanging and providing information to vendors, manufacturers, other utilities, and consultants on non-routine issues.
- Participates in professional affiliations (i.e. PSRC, IEEE) to keep abreast of new industry trends, developments and procedures. May represent the company on committees.
- Often is a technical coach for others.
- 4-year BS Degree in Electrical Engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited curriculum in the US or the equivalent from outside the US.
- Current and active California PE license required
- Mastery of the associate, journey and senior protection engineer job duties in respective discipline and demonstrated knowledge and ability to perform the basic duties of the Senior Protection Engineer.
- Meets specific technical requirements gained through a minimum of thirteen years of cumulative experience in the field of system protection.
- Demonstrate expert knowledge and abilities in system protection arena.
- Able to handle multiple large and complex projects without little or no supervision and serve as team leader.
- Demonstrate excellent presentation skills including knowledge transfer presentations.
- Provide leadership, direction, and assistance to engineers.
- Coach and develop other lower level engineers routinely.
- Able to prepare and present system protection related technical papers in the appropriate trade groups, such as IEEE, WPRC, etc.
Apply for this position