Utility Worker - Tower (Req: 51824179-E01)
Location: United States, South Carolina, Davis
End of contest: May 2, 2014
Type (Full time / Part time): Full Time
This is an IBEW Local 1245 represented classification, which has over 100 years of experience representing employees at PG&E. This job is subject to collective bargaining.
We are looking for an energetic and career oriented individual to join our Tower Department. The Utility Worker is responsible for performing the maintenance and construction of transmission structures company-wide. This is an entry level position with advancement opportunities for motivated individuals who perform successfully.
Work is predominantly outdoors and in all weather conditions. The individual must be able to drive safely, work extended hours, travel/transfer to new headquarter upon request at any time, and wear company provided Personal Protective Equipment.
This position requires a 5-year commitment to the Tower Department per LOA 07-033.
- Erect, inspect, remove, fabricate, repair, and modify transmission towers, foundations and tubular steel poles
- Operate and use forklifts, pallet jacks, off-highway vehicles, fire pump trailers, air compressors, portable light trailers, and small street sweepers
- Dig soil and concrete to expose structural foundations, remove and repair damaged steel pieces
- Operate and use electric, hydraulic, gasoline-powered and pneumatic power tools such as jackhammers, hole-punches, band saws, cutting torches, and drill
- Ensure equipment, supplies, tools and materials are organized and stored properly on vehicles
- Load and unloads equipment, supplies, tools and materials at the yard, point of assembly and at the job site
- Drive company vehicles to and from designated job sites
- Work in a team environment. Attend and participate in crew, department and company-wide meetings
- Attend and participate in daily tailboard meetings to receive job assignment, discuss safety, review business issues and prioritize the work
- Communicate face to face, by phone, cell phone and radio with supervisor, foreman, and crew members regarding job, safety and work assignments.
- Work safely at all times as defined by PG&E's safety standards and procedures
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must possess a High School diploma, GED or equivalent work experience
- Must possess a valid California Driver's License or ability to obtain one by first day of employment
- Ability to work in all types of weather extremes
- Ability to drive in all weather and road conditions
- Ability to work extended hours, nights, weekends and holidays
- Ability to travel and transfer to a new headquarter upon request at any time; throughout the entire PG&E service territory with no guarantees as to how long you will be away from home
- Internal PG&E Employees: Must have qualified on the Physical Test Battery (PTB) and Work Orientation Inventory (WOI) exam prior to applying
- External and Hiring Hall Candidates: Must qualify on the Physical Test Battery (PTB) and Work Orientation Inventory (WOI) exam prior to interviewing
- Must be able to wear company provided Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds a minimum of one time a day
- California Commercial Driver License (Class A) by day
- Experience with basic hand and power tools used in the construction industry.
- Graduate of Bridge to Utility Worker-PowerPathway Program
- Construction/Field experience in the Military
- Comfortable working at height above 100 feet
- Graduate of Northwest Lineman College or a comparable Lineman College.