Assist in performing work involved with the installation, rearrangement, maintenance, operation, removal and inspection of electrical transmission and distribution facilities, drive and operate line trucks and associated auxiliary equipment. The following list sets forth the principal duties required for the job. All items apply to overhead and underground, as applicable. This list is not intended to limit assignment of work or the degree of supervision under all operating conditions. Employee may perform miscellaneous, related, and incidental work in addition to that specifically outlined below. Perform duties in accordance with the Company s safety rules, regulations and practices and report unsafe conditions and practices.
During the first six months in this classification, the employee must demonstrate the ability to operate Company equipment, climb poles and structures, and work on de-energized conductors and equipment. Also, under immediate supervision of a higher classification, may work secondary voltage up to 260 volts.
After six months in this classification, under general supervision may work on conductors and equipment energized up to 260 volts, and may also work higher secondary voltages under immediate supervision of a higher classification.
May assist with the installation and removal of structures within close proximity of energized primary conductors, under immediate supervision.
Assemble, install, maintain, remove and inspect conductors, fixtures and other associated equipment on de-energized overhead and underground facilities.
Climb poles and structures and work from bucket trucks or on ladders and demonstrate evidence of being at ease above the ground in performance of work.
Operate mechanized equipment required to install, remove or maintain overhead and underground transmission and distribution facilities.
Become familiar with the use and care of insulating rubber gloves, sleeves and other personal protective equipment.
Assist with loading, unloading, handling, maintaining, installing and removing poles, towers and structures.
Operate portable power tools, generators, pumps and tamps.
Install, maintain, read and remove single-phase meters and associated equipment.
Test meter bases for voltage, backfeed, grounds and proper connections.
Install, maintain and remove services, secondary cable and associated equipment.
Install, maintain and remove dusk-to-dawn and street lighting equipment.
Set and remove barricades, flags, signs and flares; direct pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
Load, unload and store materials, tools and equipment.
Assemble and erect equipment mountings such as regulator and transformer platforms.
Assist with the installation, removal and maintenance of underground facilities.
Maintain tools, equipment and work area in a clean and orderly condition.
Maintain records and submit reports as required.
Attend and participate in training as assigned and assist in the training of other employees.
Perform similar or less skilled work.
Report irregularities and abnormal conditions.
Assist employees of equal or higher classification.
Minimum Requirements 1. High school graduate or equivalent education and/or experience.
2. No previous work experience required.
3. Must have the ability and desire to acquire the necessary knowledge and skills to perform the duties and/or responsibilities of the key job (Line Mechanic A) in this family and be qualified through demonstration, examination and/or performance appraisal as determined by the Company.
4. Must acquire within such time frame as determined by the Company, the qualifications necessary to perform the duties of the next higher classification in the line of progression, or vacate the current job classification.
5. Must possess and maintain a valid state driver s license. Employee shall obtain appropriate licensing as required by federal and/or state law prior to the end of the designated probationary period.
6. Must possess the ability to deal with employees, customers and the general public in a courteous and proper manner.
7. Must have the ability to write legibly and record accurately.
8. Successful completion of the Construction and Skilled Trades (CAST) selection test is required for this position. A review of Employment Testing Information, Test-Taking Tips, and the CAST Practice Test may be helpful. A link to these materials may be found at AEP.com Careers by selecting Employment testing. A physical abilities assessment is also required for this position.
9. This position requires the successful candidate to live within 30 minutes of the Wheeling Service Building