Manager, Operations - North Okanagan and Boundary
Reporting to the Manager, Network Services this position is accountable for the safe and effective delivery of network operations, Transmission, Distribution and Construction in the respective geographical area. This position is also accountable for the optimization of resources (material, people and financial) to ensure the delivery of operational and project objectives for their respective geographical area (Kootenay, North Okanagan, and Boundary, South Okanagan, Oliver, Princeton & Simillkameen).
Responsibilities • Ensures a culture of safety in a high risk environment by reinforcing the importance of operational safety and ensuring the safety standards and protocols are priority for the foreman and crew. Evaluates impact and efficiency of established procedures by participating in the incident investigations, crew observations, conducting root cause analysis, and developing action plans to prevent future incidents. Ensures all crews are trained in each area. Prepares and develops emergency response plans as required. Participates in Corporate & Regional Safety Committees (ie Best Practices, Safety Steering Committee)
• Anticipates and executes plans to address operational obstacles, including the reallocation of significant resources (equipment, financial, people). Provides quality oversight, identifies opportunities for process improvements & efficiencies and oversees the implementation of process improvements, including projects involving new technologies.
• Provides leadership and guidance to technical and “high risk” operations group (contractors, dispatchers, network operations, lines and station) including coaching, disciplining, attendance and performance management, recruitment & employee development.
• Develops and manages the capital and operation budget for the operations area. Monitors operational costs, identifies solutions for cost optimization; makes adjustments to budgets as required; forecasts expenditures, provides variance explanations and reports on budgets regularly
• Build and manage relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including customers, contractors, internal departments, and 3rd party contracts
Requires university degree or trade/technologist certification with a minimum of 8-12 years supervisory experience, including significant operational experience
• Working knowledge of safety management
• Working knowledge of budget concept and principles
• Working knowledge of operation, maintenance and construction process
• Working knowledge of transmission & distribution systems
• Working knowledge of project management
• Basic knowledge of modelling and forecasting
• Basic knowledge of labour relations, recruitment, performance management
Ability to drive for results through planning, alignment, execution, and customer experience/responsiveness
Ability to make optimal decisions through accountability, judgement, problem solving, prudent risk taking, market/industry awareness, and maintaining customer focus
Ability to drive and implement prudent change through continuous improvement, challenge the status quo/innovation, flexibility/adaptability and customer value – innovative customer solutions
Ability to build working relationships through respect & integrity, open communication, teamwork, negotiation/influence and customer relationship management
Ability to lead high performance through leading by example & initiative, continuous learning & coaching, measuring, rewarding & recognizing, customer service
Electricity Suite 100, 1975 Springfield Road
British Columbia Canada