I &C Engineer, Sr
Responsible to the assigned supervisor for performing engineering work activities and projects requiring the application of engineering knowledge in a safe, effective, efficient and economic accomplishment of assigned objectives.
• Participate as an I&C resource to multi-discipline project teams
• Lead teams of I&C engineers and designers to implement project requirements
• Interpret and follow applicable regulations, codes and standards.
• Maintain hard copy and electronic records for audit purposes.
• Troubleshoot and repair various complex major and minor control and monitoring systems.
• Work safely in all environments.
Knowledge and Skillls
• Basic understanding of industrial control and monitoring systems and how they are implemented in power plants.
• Electrical and mechanical aptitude a plus.
• Worked with servers, computers and computer-based instruments.
• Worked with Ethernet, Modbus and other communications protocols.
• Proficiency in using MS Access, Excel, Word, SQL, and Visual Basic a plus.
• Analyze and interpret technical writings and information such as SAMA logic diagrams, P&IDs, one-line diagrams, elementary diagrams and other schematics.
• Experience with AB Rockwell PLCs, ABB Symphony, GE Mark V, or Emerson Ovation a plus
• Basic knowledge, understanding, and application of process control instrumentation.
Working Conditions, Environment and Requirements
• Candidate may be required to work days and/or nights as required for the assigned task.
• Availability to work overtime required.
• Travel is required, ~30% more or less. Some day trips and some overnight, up to a week, rarely more
• Work environment at power stations consists of exposure to hot surfaces, dust, grease, hazardous fumes and chemicals, loud noises, small and large operating machinery and equipment, indoors and outdoors in extreme heat and cold, rain, ice, snow, and all other forms of weather.
• When visiting any power station the wearing of hard hat, eye and hearing protection, steel toed shoes with distinctive heel and non-slip soles are required at all times.
• Ability to use a respirator and other personal protective equipment.
• Work on platform gratings and on tall stacks at heights of 200 feet or more is required.
• Climb up a stack to heights of 200 feet or more, and to climb down a stack from any height.
• Work in confined spaces and a single person cable man lift.
• Lift up to 80 pounds independently.
Business awareness characteristics: exhibits an awareness of AEP s competitive position and how business decisions impact their organizational unit; understands the specific goals and objectives of their individual organizational unit and is proficient in establishing measurable goals and objectives; effectively manages project budgets using cost management techniques and understands how their decisions and recommendations impact AEP s expenses and revenues; demonstrates an awareness of profit incentives, optimizing growth of customers businesses and using our services to attract new business.
Problem solving and initiative: identifies, clarifies, resolves, and initiates solutions to routine problems that sometimes involve analysis of inadequate or conflicting data; demonstrates the ability to divide problems into component steps; consistently looks for opportunities and presents new ideas and approaches.
Communication skills: develops, reviews or prepares reports on complex technical subjects clearly, concisely and effectively, in a manner suitable for presentation to management and professional societies regulatory bodies, etc.; leads and facilitates meetings effectively.
Interpersonal skills: functions as a team leader and member; networks upward and downward in several disciplines inside and outside the AEP system; leverages network to get things done.
Technical expertise: possesses intermediate level knowledge plus performs varied assignments demonstrating proficiency in the application of theory and analytical techniques to solution of diverse problems or to extensive analysis; keeps abreast of new products, developments, technologies, procedures and equipment; understands and analyzes interrelationships between systems and component equipment; interprets codes and regulations, and develops standards relevant to the area of assignment.
Leadership and guidance: leads, facilitates and coordinates work activities of others within the work group, team, department, corporate entity, or those external to the company as required to perform all routine engineering effort; ensures all work activities are performed in accordance with the policies, practices standards and rules of the company and comply with the regulations and procedures required by external agencies; promotes engineering professionalism and standards; coordinates and conducts training sessions.
Planning and organization ability: participates in the development of plans by establishing measurable goals, objectives and requirements relative to specific area of responsibility; coordinates the development of input necessary to establish projected cost of all projects; is proficient in use of scheduling techniques (CPM, PERT, flow charts, etc.) for budget and planning activities; identifies and initiates appropriate corrective action when objectives are not being met.
Bachelor 's degree in engineering (Electrical, Mechanical or Chemical) in a program accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET).
Typically should be achieved with 4 - 7 years of engineering experience as an Engineer II or equivalent.
Registration as a PE in any U.S. state is required for the Senior Engineer position.
1 Riverside Plaza
Ohio United States