This position is written for a Staff Engineer position in the Xcel Energy Engineering hier
archy. The complexity and types of projects that the successful candidate will be responsible for will be consistent with their experience. The successful candidate will be placed in the hier
archy based on their qualifications.
Specific departmental responsibilities include:
- Collaboration with all regions of company; requires some travel to various offices
- Documenting company 'best' practices
- Material specification and approval
- Lots of variety, working on both substation and transmission line standards
If you desire a position where you can be part of a growing department and team in our Transmission organization, then this position may be for you!
- Uses and applies technical standards, principles, theories, concepts, and techniques to perform activities/assignments that may include a variety of complex features such as conflicting design requirements, unsuitability of conventional materials or methods and difficult coordination requirements.
- Supports the development of technical documentation (including but not limited to designs, testing, calculations, reports, standards, etc.) Utilizes and may assist with the development of procedures requiring a broad knowledge and proficiency in the specialty area and has a general knowledge of related disciplines.
- Works under the general direction of a higher level engineer or supervisor for routine engineering projects. Provides ongoing technical support for project activities within areas such as Operations, Maintenance, Testing/diagnostics and Regulatory, May provide field engineering oversight and or direction for activities such as commissioning, testing, inspections etc.
- May lead small-medium, non-critical projects. Coordinates/leads critical projects or portions of projects (including phases such as research, design, equipment selection, procurement support,, installation and commissioning), under the direction of a higher level engineer or supervisor. Work is reviewed upon completion for adequacy in meeting objectives.
- Under the direction of a higher level engineer/supervisor, supports bid/evaluation processes including preparation of bid documents, completion of technical evaluations for proposals, providing recommendations for selection, etc. Partners and communicates with areas such as supply chain and legal following appropriate processes.
- Frequently exchanges information in all formats, on matters having a wide range of importance and complexity both inter-organizationally and with outside customer/vendors.
- May assign tasks and coordinate the work of interns, drafters, technicians, craft personnel and/or others and provides guidance and mentoring to less experienced engineers. Responsible for continuous self development of technical skills and competencies.
- Performs activities such as budgeting, estimating, forecasting, accounting, work order management, in support of engineering projects.
At Xcel Energy, our customers' quality of life depends on the energy we provide. Every time they flip a switch or turn a dial, they tap into the energy of over 12,000 people working to make life better. As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers.
Xcel Energy has become a leader in the energy industry by demonstrating excellence in environmental performance. Our environmental commitment includes improving air quality, conserving resources, harnessing renewable energy, and protecting wildlife and habitats.
Xcel Energy's vitality comes from our people. It takes professionals in engineering, customer service, linemen, marketing and sales professionals, energy traders, mechanics, finance and accounting professionals and many others to power our company. We offer competitive compensation and benefit programs that include a range of options and coverage levels.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering from ABET accredited curriculum (or recognized equivalency).
- 2+ years relevant engineering experience.
- Demonstrated broad knowledge and proficiency in specialty area, knowledge of related specialties, and general knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Ability to demonstrate the unique technical skills and core competencies for this engineering level established & documented by the organization.
- EIT/FE (Engineer in Training/Fundamentals of Engineering) strongly preferred
Other Locations:MN-Minneapolis, Wisconsin-Eau Claire, TX-Amarillo
Xcel Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.