The Permitting Analyst Intern position supports development of permit applications to local, state, and federal agencies for approval to site Xcel Energy transmission lines, gas pipeline, and substation projects.
This internship will utilize GIS technology to support permit applications, develop, gather, and interpret digital data such as land use, terrestrial ecology information, routing, and aerial imagery for mapping within a GIS. Spatial analysis projects may be assigned including mapping right of way needs, permitting maps, and multiple route analysis using ArcGIS. Additionally, the Permitting Analyst Intern will assist the staff in completing cartography projects for internal and external clients.
This internship may involve field work conducting botanical surveys of transmission line corridors in WI and MN. These surveys will have an emphasis on threatened and endangered and invasive plant species, and assisting with monitoring of construction projects to ensure compliance with permit order points and conditions.
The person hired for this position would be expected to work full time during summer months, with the possibility of an extension into the school year with part time hours (depending on academic schedule).
- Must be pursuing a Bachelor's degree.
- Proficient in the use of ArcGIS for mapping and spatial analysis.
- Must have at least a sophomore standing in the fall.
- GPA of 2.5 or better is preferred.
- Must have excellent organizational and computer skills.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Applicant needs current driver's license and be willing to travel with some overnight stays in remote parts of MN and WI.
- Experience with GPS desirable.
- Be willing to learn new GIS applications to support related transmission planning activity.
- Previous field work experience is a plus.
- Summer commitment with possibility of part-time extension into the school year.
Xcel Energy, Inc.
414 Nicollet Mall
Minnesota United States