Case Manager, Senior (Job Req 51906239-E02)
Regulatory Case Management:
Act as a Senior Case Manager in cases of moderate complexity, leading the strategic development, preparation, and execution of regulatory filings to achieve PG&E's goals. Manage the seven phases of the case, using the guidance, case manager expectations, and key measures for success specified in the Regulatory Relations Case Management Process Guide. Forge a successful partnership with the Lead Attorney as co-project manager of the case, including delegation, monitoring of progress, communication and leadership. Forge a successful partnership with the client department. Ensure roles and responsibilities of all participants are clear at the beginning of and throughout the case and that these responsibilities are fulfilled. Communicate with officers and case participants in an effective, timely manner, ensuring that the views of all parties are understood and considered. If needed, prepare and sponsor expert witness testimony, exhibits, workpapers, and discovery responses on issues of moderate complexity. Fulfill all witness responsibilities as specified in the Regulatory Proceedings Case Participant Guide.
Review regulatory accounting mechanisms, cost recovery proposals, and other analyses to be submitted in the regulatory proceeding being managed. Analyze and interpret regulatory proposals, preparing summaries and recommendations to management.
Policy and Strategy Analysis:
Provide high-level analytical support for regulatory, policy and business initiatives related to the proceeding being managed. Support PG&E business units in evaluating and developing recommendations on cost recovery, ratemaking, customer program, and tariff issues. Analyze and summarize key regulatory proposals, pleadings, and decisions to identify issues of significant financial, strategic or policy impact to PG&E. Maintain knowledge of key governmental, regulatory, and political issues. Prepare strategic briefing materials and/or communications for senior management, client organizations, and regulators. May lead in negotiations with internal and external stakeholders.
Implement regulatory decisions, including creating and/or revising complex tariffs, billing, and accounting rules, working with representatives from Regulatory Relations and other departments. Ensure compliance items are appropriately implemented and rules are correctly applied. Prepare complex data and other reports for submission to regulatory agencies to fulfill compliance requirements. Prepare and update internal status reports to inform PG&E's leadership team and ensure compliance items are identified, tracked, monitored, and implemented. For items resulting in an impact on the Company financial statements, ensure compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley regulatory reporting requirements.
Tariff Development and Implementation:
Work with Regulatory Relations and other departments to design new tariffs or modify existing tariffs in response to regulatory decisions or business initiatives. Work with Regulatory Relations and other departments to prepare and implement advice letters, including revisions to preliminary statements and other tariffs. Maintain knowledge of functional lines of business to facilitate meeting both business and regulatory needs.
Public Contacts and Advocacy:
Represent PG&E in public when required on issues of moderate complexity, communicating PG&E's positions clearly and effectively. Evaluate policy recommendations, programs, and parties' positions from the perspective of customers, shareholders, other stakeholders, and the public at large. Work with regulatory agencies and other external stakeholders to develop consensus positions where possible.
Organize and lead cross-functional teams of witnesses, witness assistants, coordinators, lobbyists, policy advisors, and other support personnel to conduct the regulatory proceeding. Maintain strategic oversight, providing effective communication and project management to ensure objectives are met. Oversee team utilization rates and overall team performance throughout the case to maximize efficient use of resources and employee development opportunities.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience
- 5 years of relevant experience
- Skilled in use of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Finance, Economics, Accounting, Public Policy, Engineering
- Master's degree
- 5 years of experience in regulatory project management, finance, rate design, customer demand side management programs, procurement, electric distribution, or customer energy services
- Skilled knowledge and understanding of the regulatory environment, including California's regulatory history and key case precedents
- Skilled knowledge of and/or experience in the functional lines of PG&E's electric and gas business, including generation, procurement, transmission, distribution and customer services
- Skilled knowledge and understanding of the case management theory, process, and procedures
- Skilled understanding of revenue requirement, cost recovery, policy development, and PG&E programs (e.g., electric or gas procurement, demand response, energy efficiency and other related programs)
- Understanding of regulatory accounting principles/balancing account theory and practice
- Understanding of rates and tariffs theory and basic processes