Environmental Affairs Lab Supervisor (2 ) - Fuels & Materials / Chemistry (Requisition Number: APC2003136)
Alabama Power Company
Location: United States, Alabama, Birmingham
End of contest: May 30, 2014
Type (Full time / Part time): Full Time
Alabama Power Company's Environmental Affairs organization is currently accepting applications for its Fuels & Materials Lab Supervisor and it's Chemistry Lab Supervisor. These are two separate positions, both located at APC's General Services Complex in Calera, Alabama (greater Birmingham, AL area).
In Environmental Affairs, a Lab Supervisor is responsible for providing leadership and management to a team of laboratory employees who perform analyses for Southern Company's various entities (e.g. Alabama Power Company, Southern Company Generation, Southern Nuclear, Southern Power, Fuel Services, Customer Service Organization) and external customers. These positions are responsible for fostering a safe and productive work environment by setting and communicating team goals, managing capital and O&M budgets, providing performance feedback, and developing a high performing team. Additionally, a Supervisor implements procedures and controls necessary to provide analytical data that helps the Company meet and exceed environmental compliance with state and federal regulations. These positions also ensure that quality data is provided for operational support, asset protection, and emergency response. Moreover, a Supervisor assures effective utilization of technical personnel and interfaces with internal and external customers.
Major Responsibilities of an APC Environmental Affairs Supervisor include:
- Focus on Target Zero and wellness to ensure employees follow safe work practices; identify and implement corrective actions for unsafe work conditions.
- Provide leadership and direction for a highly engaged team in order to ensure compliance and provide operational support.
- Effectively manage performance of employees in workgroup by developing goals, accountabilities, performance measures, and developmental plans; hold employees accountable for demonstrating performance that is consistent with expected performance; plan for workforce changes to ensure work is not interrupted; support employee growth and development.
- Manage laboratory sample workload and resource requirements to meet laboratory standard operating procedures, ASTM, EPA methods, SM methods, applicable certification requirements, and customer requirements.
- Develop partnerships with employees, management and customers to effectively manage analytical and quality control procedures that enable the lab to provide cost effective, timely and accurate laboratory services.
- Conduct monthly staff meetings, as well as periodic individual meetings with employees, to communicate company information, discuss workload issues, and obtain feedback.
- Oversee the performance of tests to ensure that protocols, methods, and procedures are followed; ensure compliance with contract specifications; provide interpretation of results.
- Manage budget requirements for operating and maintenance, as well as capital expenditures; track cost of services and identify cost savings.
Fuels & Materials Lab Supervisor will have additional responsibilities such as:
- Partnering with Fuel Services to ensure quality procurement of various fuel types.
- Ensuring limestone and gypsum analyses are performed for the Southern System and external clients.
- Overseeing the performance of safety-related analyses and asbestos testing for Southern Nuclear, as well as cutting edge biomass and alternative fuel testing.
- Provide accurate, unbiased data to support Fuel Services' efforts to recover penalties for deviations in contract specifications.
- Provide leadership and oversight for ensuring corrective actions are investigated and resolved by consulting with QA/QC, Chemistry, and Fuels and Materials laboratory employees.
- Focus on efficiency gains via automation and technology.
Chemistry Lab Supervisor will have additional responsibilities such as:
- Supervising the technical staff conducting chemistry analyses using a wide variety of complex instrumentation and analytical methodologies.
- Review work in-flow from QA/QC; determine staffing requirements and priorities; review overall lab performance and develop workforce strategy to ensure tests are performed accurately and timely.
- Oversee the maintenance of equipment; ensure the accuracy of instruments used in tests; plan for equipment retirement and identify new equipment required.
- Oversee the development and updating of guidelines/procedures for the lab; develop new guidelines/procedures and protocols for tests that have not been defined within the lab.
- Partner with Transmission to perform transformer oil analyses for operational support and asset protection, resulting in avoided costs.
- Participating in compliance studies to provide analyses of scrubber wastewater in partnership with the Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) that benefits APC, the system, and the utility industry.
- Providing leadership and direction needed to obtain laboratory accreditation through the National Environmental Laboratory Accreditation Program (NELAP).
CANDIDATES WITH THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
Education & Professional Experience
- BS degree in Chemistry, Biology, Engineering or related science with a minimum of 15 semester hours of chemistry preferred for the Fuels and Materials Lab Supervisor role; 24 semester hours of chemistry is preferred for the Chemistry Lab Supervisor role.
- Lab experience and knowledge of lab instrumentation and equipment, as well as the ability to evaluate new instrumentation and technologies.
- Demonstrated leadership and supervisory experience with the ability to set clear goals, define expectations, hold others accountable, enable teams to accomplish goals, and recognize achievements.
- Demonstrated leadership with ability to evaluate the effectiveness of the lab's processes and procedures and to ensure compliance with current and future requirements.
- Power generation experience and environmental compliance experience is preferred.
- Budgeting experience will be beneficial.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Technical knowledge of ASTM, Standard Methods (SM), and EPA analytical methodology, particularly as it applies to analytical methods and testing, instrumentation, and measurement processes.
- Knowledge of chemical analyses, as well as experience performing analyses and determining accuracy of tests and samples.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and leadership skills and the ability to interface with internal and external groups including laboratory employees, customers, power plants, regulators and accreditation agencies.
- Strategic thinker with the ability to develop quality services to support customers and to anticipate future staffing needs.
- Ability to prepare and present information to a variety of audiences; demonstrated problem solving and analytical skills to troubleshoot complex issues and establish appropriate compliance controls.
'"SouthernStyle"; leadership; commitment to excellence; customer focus; ability to produce high quality work in an efficient manner; demonstrate initiative and flexibility; build positive relationships with internal and external workgroups and customers; team player; demonstrate personal responsibility; enthusiastic; positive attitude; willingness to learn.
Alabama Power provides the valuable combination of competitive prices, reliable electricity supply and unparalleled service to 1.4 million homes, businesses and industries in the southern two-thirds of Alabama.
With 4.4 million customers and more than 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity, Atlanta-based Southern Company is the premier energy company serving the Southeast through its subsidiaries. A leading U.S. producer of clean, safe, reliable and affordable electricity, Southern Company owns electric utilities in four states and a growing competitive generation company, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for energy innovation, excellent customer service, high reliability and retail electric prices that are below the national average. Southern Company and its subsidiaries are leading the nation's nuclear renaissance through the construction of the first new nuclear units to be built in a generation of Americans and are demonstrating their commitment to energy innovation through the development of a state-of-the-art coal gasification plant. Southern Company has been recognized by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer and listed by DiversityInc as a top company for Blacks. The company received the 2012 Edison Award from the Edison Electric Institute for its leadership in new nuclear development, was named Electric Light & Power magazine's Utility of the Year for 2012 and is continually ranked among the top utilities in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at HTTP://WWW.SOUTHERNCOMPANY.COM
We offer a competitive compensation package. Equal Opportunity Employer.
Travel (Up to...): 25 % of the Time
Alabama Power Company
600 N 18th St
Alabama United States