Plant Auxiliary - Requisition Number: APC2003102
Alabama Power Company
Location: United States, Alabama, Forkland
End of contest: May 30, 2014
Type (Full time / Part time): Full Time
The Plant Auxiliary position is an entry-level position that accomplishes a wide variety of work, often physically demanding, throughout an entire shift. They lift and move heavy-duty electric, hydraulic, or pneumatic tools, equipment and materials while maintaining safe work practices. Good eye-hand-foot and motor coordination are necessary to climb stairs and ladders, to work at heights of over 100 feet, to reach, handle, grasp, to work foot controls, and to bend, kneel, crawl, stoop and stand for long periods of time. This position assists in the operation and maintenance of Alabama Power generating plants. Experience in a physically demanding work environment and ability to work with all types of tools is desired. Plant Auxiliaries work rotating shifts and must be available for overtime and call outs. Experience or knowledge of mechanics, electricity, shop machinery, welding, and piping work is desired.
The Plant Auxiliary must follow safety procedures and precautions, and wear safety glasses, ear plugs, hard hat, heavy duty steel toed shoes, cotton clothing and a mask or respirator, if required for the task.
Be sure to update your resume before applying. Please include all relevant work history (including dates) and education in your resume in order to be considered for this position.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- 2 year Technical Degree (Industrial or Technical majors) preferred.
- 2 year manual labor, construction, maintenance, electrical or working on heavy equipment preferred.
- Individuals also must demonstrate the ability and desire to work safely and display ethical behavior at all times.
- Ability to work in confined spaces.
- Ability to perform physically demanding activities while working in all types of temperature extremes; Job requires candidates to bend, kneel, crawl, stoop and stand for long periods of time.
- Operate all equipment and hand tools as needed.
- Knowledge of mechanics, electricity, shop machinery, welding and piping work is required, but experience is preferred.
- Must be at least 18 years of age - Required
- Possess a valid driver's license - Required
- Successfully pass the written POSS/MASS Test and Physical Abilities Test - Required
- Rotating shifts are required. Must be available for overtime, call outs, weekends and holidays - Required
- Live within one hour of the plant or willing to relocate within one hour of the plant due to call out (No relocation assistance available) - Required
Logon to: http://www.southernco.com/about-us/careers/hr-process/employment-testing.cshtml
Click on "EEI Practice Test" on the right hand side; a new window to the Edison Electric Institute© website will open.
Use the following information to log into the site to access the practice test:
- Name: southern
- Password: testing
Practice tests: POSS - Plant Operator & MASS - Power Plant Maintenance.
Visit our website at http://www.southerncompany.com/
Southern Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) of minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans and strongly supports diversity in the workplace.
Salary & Benefits
Pay for a PLANT AUXILIARY position is based on an hourly rate with possible overtime pay. Starting pay is $15.515 per hour with the opportunity for two raises a year given expected performance.
These positions are covered by the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers' contract with Alabama Power.
Alabama Power Company
600 N 18th St
Alabama United States