Senior Environmental Health & Safety Specialist
East Bay Municipal Utility District
Location: United States, California, Oakland
End of contest: May 16, 2014 before 00:004:30 hrs
Type (Full time / Part time): Full Time
The Senior Environmental Health and Safety Specialists assist the Manager of Workplace Health and Safety by providing oversight of key components of East Bay Municipal Utility District's (EBMUD) Workplace Health and Safety (WHS) Program such as Hearing Conservation, Asbestos, Lead, Respiratory Protection, Chemical Hygiene and Fall Protection; assists in the overall program planning and evaluation; performs safety investigations, reports on unsafe or hazardous working conditions and recommends corrective action; performs other duties as required. Functional oversight and lead supervision over Workplace Health and Safety Specialists is provided on a project basis.
Important aspects of the position include:
- Directs, leads and oversees the work of assigned staff, technicians and consultants; provides technical assistance and trains staff in areas of assigned expertise.
- Initiates, develops and implements programs and projects within the workplace health and safety function such as, Hearing Conservation, Indoor Air Quality, Chemical Exposure, Asbestos, Lead and Silica Exposure, Respiratory Protection and Confined Space.
- Determines project scope, assembles and leads interdisciplinary teams to improve or update EBMUD defined standards, documentation and/or processes and procedures in new, complex and/or specialized areas of workplace health and safety.
- Develops and maintains health and safety filing and tracking systems such as exposure records (noise, chemical, asbestos, silica), respiratory medical clearance and fit-test records for regulatory reports and required permits.
- Responds to and investigates health and safety complaints and incidents; prepares detailed reports and recommends corrective action and preventative strategies; provides information and technical assistance to regulatory agencies and concerned public and private organizations in resolving issues.
- Conducts surveys of EBMUD facilities, property, materials and equipment for compliance with state and federal regulations relative to health and safety; issues reports of survey findings; develops new or revises existing internal procedures for meeting worksite compliance with health and safety regulations.
- Monitors, evaluates and interprets data for assigned projects and programs; prepares accurate and complete calculations and technical reports; conducts field sampling and analysis for the presence of asbestos and lead in support of engineering projects.
- Performs noise exposure monitoring on employees utilizing noise survey instruments and noise dosimeters. Prepares reports with calculations showing employees average, maximum and 8-hr TWA exposure. Determines applicability of OSHA's Hearing Conservation Program to EBMUD personnel.
- Utilizing standard industrial hygiene equipment performs employee exposure monitoring for asbestos, lead, silica and other chemicals of concern. Prepares reports with calculations showing the employee's exposure and compares against known PELs, STELs, TLVs and makes recommendations to reduce exposures when appropriate.
The ideal candidate will have a Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) designation.
A typical means of acquiring the essential knowledge and abilities is a bachelor's degree with major work in environmental science, industrial hygiene, safety engineering, chemistry, biology, toxicology, engineering, or a closely related field and EITHER
- Two years of experience equivalent to Environmental Health and Safety Specialist II OR,
- Four years of experience in one or a combination of the following: workplace health and safety including accident prevention, evaluation, investigation and safety training; OR environmental compliance investigation and reporting, or enforcement of regulations, which involved the review of water, wastewater or air pollution control industrial processes. Experience may require demonstrated expertise or specialization relevant to the position vacancy.
- Must possess the physical characteristics to perform the critical and important duties of the job.
- Must be willing to work under adverse conditions while collecting samples or conducting field studies.
- Must be willing to work overtime and standby as needed.
- Must be willing to be clean shaven on a scheduled basis as required to wear respiratory protection equipment.
- Must possess a valid California driver's license.
Salary & Benefits
Our excellent benefits package includes:
- 12 days paid vacation; 15 holidays; 13 days paid sick leave;
- Family health insurance (choice of Kaiser fully paid or Health Net or Anthem Blue Cross 85% paid);
- Fully paid family dental and vision care plans; life insurance; long-term disability insurance;
- EBMUD Retirement Plan (reciprocal with CalPERS);
- $905/yr. contributed to flexible spending account or cash;
- $105/mo. public transit subsidy;
- 401(k), 401(a) and 457(b) tax-deferred retirement plans; Roth 401(k);
- $3,500/yr. tuition reimbursement;
- And opportunities for professional growth including training and career development.
The Selection Process:
- Submit a completed EBMUD application and the required supplemental question responses online at www.ebmud.com by 4:30 p.m., Friday, May 16, 2014. Only application materials submitted online during the filing period will be accepted.
- All qualified applications and supplemental responses will be competitively evaluated, with those candidates demonstrating the strongest qualifications for the position to be invited to a panel interview tentatively scheduled for mid-June.
- Successful candidates will be ranked on a hiring list for further consideration to fill the current regular vacancy, as well as others occurring over the next 12 to 24 months.
As the first step in the selection process, responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted online with the regular EBMUD application. Please provide thorough, accurate descriptions of assignments you have personally performed.
East Bay Municipal Utility District
375 11th St
California United States