Human Resources Director
City of Riverside
Location: United States, California, Riverside
End of contest: May 27, 2014
Type (Full time / Part time): Full Time
The City of Riverside is seeking a dynamic candidate to fill a vacancy for Human Resources Director. This recruitment will be used to fill the current vacancy and establish an eligibility list for this classification. Positions designated as Non-Classified are exempt from the classified service. The incumbent shall be appointed "at-will" and serve at the pleasure of the City Manager.
Under executive direction, to plan, organize, and direct all phases of the City's Human Resources Department including: recruitment and selection; classification, compensation, and benefits; labor relations; training; to provide professional and technical staff assistance; and to do related work as required.
For a copy of the brochure, click Human Resources Director Brochure
Typical duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Consult with and advise the City Manager, Human Resources Board, and department officials to coordinate the various phases of the policies, practices, ordinances, and resolutions implemented.
- Leads in the development and implementation of the department's goals, objectives, policies and procedures.
- Formulate and recommend policies, regulations, and practices for carrying out the department's goals.
- Represent the City in matters of concern to unions and associations representing City employees; may act as Chief Negotiator or participate in negotiations during 'meet and confer' sessions with various organizations; assist in the administration of the employer-employee relations resolution.
- Direct, coordinate, and supervise the administration of recruitment and selection; classification, compensation, and benefits; labor relations; training, employee performance appraisal, and new employee orientation.
- Prepare and recommend to the City Manager revisions and amendments to ordinances and resolutions relating to human resource matters.
- Direct the conduct of special studies, and preparation of reports, and make recommendations to the City Manager.
- Staff liaison to the Human Resources Board; attend meetings of the Board; offer advice and make recommendations.
- Make presentations before the City Council, Human Resources Board, and community organizations.
- Advise employees and department management in matters concerning grievances and assist department management in presentation of grievances before the Human Resources Board.
- Review and analyze reports, legislation, court cases, and related human resource matters.
- Direct the preparation and administration of the department budget.
- Coordinate human resource activities with other City departments and outside agencies.
- Mentor and develop professional, para-professional, technical, and clerical staff through subordinate staff to achieve highest potential.
- Equivalent to a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major study in business or public administration or a closely related field. A Master's degree is highly desirable.
- Seven years of increasingly responsible professional experience in human resources, including three years of supervisory experience.
Necessary Special Requirement:
- Possession of an appropriate, valid class "C" California Motor Vehicle Operator's License.
- Human Resources experience in a public sector environment.
- Knowledge of workers' compensation.
- Experience in labor negotiations preferably in a multi-union environment.
- Experience establishing and implementing organizational succession planning.
Salary & Benefits
The City offers an attractive benefits package, the central provisions of which are as follows:
- Retirement for Current Members - For employees hired after 1/1/2013 who are CURRENT MEMBERS of California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS) or a reciprocal agency as of 12/31/12 and have not been separated from service from such agency for six months or more, the retirement benefit shall be 2.7 % @ age 55; 3 year final compensation. The required employee contribution is 8%. The City does not participate in Social Security; thus, employees do not bear this additional 6.2% expense.
- Retirement for New Members - For employees hired 1/1/2013 or later and who ARE NOT a member of the California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS) or a reciprocal agency as of 12/31/12, or those who have been separated from a public agency which contracts with CalPERS or a reciprocal agency for six months or more, the retirement benefit shall be 2% at age 62; 3 year final compensation. The required employee contribution is 7%. The City does not participate in Social Security; thus, employees do not bear this additional 6.2% expense.
- Health Insurance - The City offers seven health insurance plans and contributes up to $1,006 per month for employee and dependent coverage.
- Dental Insurance - The City provides three dental insurance plans and contributes up to $45 per month.
- Vision Insurance - The City provides vision coverage through Vision Service Plan (VSP) for employees and their dependents that are enrolled in medical coverage.
- Life Insurance - The City provides and pays for term life insurance with accidental death and dismemberment equal to two times the annual salary rounded to the next highest $1,000 uup to a maximum of $700,000.
- Deferred Compensation - The City offers optional participation in the deferred compensation plan.
- Leave Benefits - Includes all typical vacation, sick leave, bereavement leave, and holiday benefits.
- Flexible Spending Account - The City offers a Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Plan for optional participation.
- Long Term Disability - The City offers optional enrollment in the Long Term Disability Plan.
- For additional benefits information, please visit the following website: http://www.riversideca.gov/human/benefits/benefit-summary.asp
Candidates meeting the minimum qualifications will be placed on an eligibility list which will remain in effect for six (6) months. Candidates may be screened further, and those meeting additional highly desirable qualifications may be invited to compete in a written, performance, and/or oral exam. Qualified candidates will be certified for a selection interview.
The final candidate(s) will be required to successfully pass a criminal background check, verification of work experience, and submit an official copy of educational transcripts verifying obtained degrees or certificates as indicated on the employment application. The appointed candidate will be required to successfully pass a medical examination and drug test.
Apply for this Position