City of Pasadena (City Hall)
Location: United States, California, Pasadena
End of contest: May 30, 2014
Type (Full time / Part time): Full Time
The City of Pasadena Water & Power Department is seeking a highly motivated, big picture thinking individual to direct, plan, and coordinate the work of the Power Engineering group including substation engineering, distribution engineering, civil engineering, customer projects and project management; review engineering plans, programs and collaborate with other divisions and departments.
The Engineering Manager is a division head for the engineering functions in the Power Engineering group. The ideal candidate will possess excellent interpersonal skills to manage conflict, change, and foster a team oriented environment. The ideal candidate will have at least fifteen years of experience in project management and second line management over power distribution and substation engineering and construction. The ideal candidate will also be very familiar with power distribution and substation design, operations, maintenance, controls, and protection. The most qualified candidates will posses knowledge of GIS, system modeling, SCADA system protection and communication/automation technologies. The incumbent will be an expert in planning, directing and supervising power engineering teams in the implementation of all phases of construction and maintenance projects and programs, prioritizing projects; interpreting regulations; researching difficult and complex projects for advance planning, and coordinating inter-departmental projects.
The following list represents some of the essential functions of the position. For additional information please see the job description at: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/pasadena/default.cfm?action=viewclassspec&classSpecID=59895&agency=1166&viewOnly=yes
- plans, organizes, coordinates, directs and evaluates the work of the Power Engineering group engaged in preparing plans, designs and specifications for maintenance, construction, distribution, production and transmission, water and power projects
- prepares legal descriptions
- develops engineering and administrative reports
- manages all Capital Improvement Projects (CIP) and supervises teams of professional and technical engineering personnel in the more specialized and complex projects, providing assistance and expertise
- prepares implementation plans for financing and development of projects
- confers and coordinates work with other divisions, departments, contractors, advisory bodies and utilities to meet objectives and operational plans
- develops project priorities and schedules operational activities
- monitors progress and makes adjustments to the project as necessary
- identifies and analyzes deviations from plans and recommends solutions
- develops and directs systems and procedures for contract administration to ensure compliance with technical and legal requirements
- oversees preparation of bid documents
- selects consultants and contractors; prepares contract documents and specifications
- researches, analyzes and submits proposals on recommendations for future projects and programs; monitors current developments in the engineering field
- develops and directs the implementation of goals, objectives, policies, procedures and work standards for the division
- develops and administers the budget
- monitors and tracks project and contract costs
- ensures project/program cost containment
- develops and supervises record keeping systems
- oversees the transition to computerized drafting and automated records systems
- directs the selection, supervision and work evaluation of division personnel
- provides for staff training and professional development
- monitors and directs employee relations and grievance procedures
- establishes and maintains effective working relationships with contractors, vendors, outside agencies, the public, advisory bodies and City staff
- acts in the absence of the Assistant General Manager
- Functional Knowledge of the principles and practices of engineering design and construction; principles of management and supervision, including goals and objectives, project development, work planning and organization, budget preparation and control
- Attention to Detail necessary for contract administration and project management and evaluation
- Time Management Ability to plan, organize, direct, supervise and select, train and motivate staff
- Strategic Ability to prepare and/or direct the preparation of complex plans, specifications and legal contracts; perform difficult research, analyze complex engineering problems, evaluate alternatives and recommend effective action
- Technology Application Skills when using computerized engineering programs
- Interpersonal Skills to establish and maintain effective relations with other utility officials, City officials, subordinates, Utility Advisory Commission, and the public
- Communication Skills when represent the department in meetings, including making presentations and written expression
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Any combination of education and/or experience that has provided the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary for acceptable job performance. Example combinations include:
- Graduation from college with a major in engineering and four years of increasingly responsible professional and supervisory experience in a water or electrical engineering field.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of training and experience and the most qualified candidates may be invited to participate in a written, oral, and/or performance examination.
There is currently one vacancy in the Water & Power Department. As a result of the selection process, an eligible list will be established which will be used to fill this vacancy and other similar vacancies that may occur in the future.
- Must possess a valid Certificate of Registration as Professional Engineer issued by the State of California.
- Possession of or ability to obtain a Class C California driver's license and a satisfactory driving record.
PROBATIONARY WORK TEST PERIOD=One Year
FLSA = Exempt
Salary & Benefits
$61.83 - $77.28 Hourly
$10,716.77 - $13,396.01 Monthly
$128,601.20 - $160,752.18 Annually
City of Pasadena (City Hall)
100 N. Garfield Ave.
California United States