Street Light & Signal Technician
City of Pasadena (City Hall)
Location: United States, California, Pasadena
End of contest: May 15, 2014
Type (Full time / Part time): Full Time
MUST APPLY ON-LINE
The City of Pasadena, Public Works Department is seeking a detail oriented, problem solver to assists journeymen Street Light and Signal Repairers and Mechanics in the installation, maintenance and repair of street lighting and traffic signals.
The following list represents some of the essential functions of this position. For additional information please see the job description at: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/pasadena/default.cfm?action=viewclassspec&classSpecID=60248&agency=1166&viewOnly=yes
- performs street light maintenance and routine trouble repairs, including unit lamp changing and lamp socket replacement
- digs trenches/holes and pours concrete bases for signal standards
- installs standards and heads
- assists in the pulling in and splicing of wires to install, replace, and repair damaged traffic signal and street light standards
- assists in the installation, maintenance, and repair of traffic control equipment including basic communication cable
- performs related work as required
- Functional knowledge of tools, equipment and basic materials and methods used in street light and traffic signal maintenance
- Problem solving ability when repairing and installing street light and traffic signal circuitry
- Interpersonal skills to establish and maintain cooperative working relations with a variety of citizens and City staff
- Communication skills to express thoughts effectively, orally and in writing
- Safety focus when using physical strength and agility to lift up to 85 pounds, bending in all directions; climbing ladders and poles, operating machinery using hands and legs, and working outdoors in all kinds of weather
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Any combination of education and/or experience that has provided the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities for acceptable job performance, such as:
- a minimum of six months of experience assisting a skilled electrical craftsman
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of training and experience and the most highly qualified candidates may be invited to participate in a written, oral, and/or performance examination.
There is currently one vacancy in the Department of Public Works. As a result of the selection process, an eligible list of candidates will be established which will be used to fill this vacancy and other similar vacancies that may occur in future.
- A Street Light and Signal Technician may be required to work graveyard, swing shift and/or weekends as part of the regular work schedule; and is subject to emergency call-out on an "as needed" basis.
- Possession of a valid Class B California Driver's License is required 6 months after appointment.
PROBATIONARY WORK TEST PERIOD - One year
FLSA = Non-Exempt
City of Pasadena (City Hall)
100 N. Garfield Ave.
California United States