Senior Program Manager (Job: P4759)
Provides support to the Director, New Customer Initiatives, in the development of new customer related initiatives and programs that expand customer choices, provide value to customers and support the objectives of the Hawaii Clean Energy Initiatives (HCEI).
The New Customer Initiatives Division of the Customer Solutions Department at Hawaiian Electric Company has one (1) Management vacancy available. (Role: Professional)
Plans, organizes, and manages all program tasks associated with the development of new initiatives and programs. Manages the budgeting, design, approval, procurement, implementation, monitoring/tracking, financial accountability from conceptualization/inception to completion.
Provides project management, office leadership and work direction to program team members in meeting program milestones. Ensures team members have all resources, information, and direction necessary to successfully perform their jobs. Evaluates progress and performance of program team members and implements personnel actions necessary to accomplish project objectives including recognition, redirection, recruitment, and replacement of team members.
Develops necessary strategies required to meet program goals. Makes early identification of potential problem areas. Develops and maintains project schedules. Prepares and presents progress and cost reports internally and externally as required. Solves problems to ensure attainment of program goals. Oversees the daily direction and task execution of project team personnel necessary to maintain program scope, schedule and budget.
Administers contracts with consultants, contractors, vendors and suppliers associated with new customer related initiatives and programs. Performs financial analyses of bids, vendor and customer contract negotiations, project alternatives and recommendations. Coordinates request for proposals for consultant services related to customer related initiatives and programs.
Serves as the focal point for all program related matters. Works with and through community groups, neighborhood boards, government agencies, the media, other utilities and private companies, the City Council, the State Legislature, and the PUC to disseminate information, address concerns, obtain approvals, and resolve program-related problems. Prepares and provides testimonies and presentations at internal strategic meetings, public meetings, and regulatory hearings as necessary.
Works with Regulatory Affairs, Management Accounting & Financial Services, Community Relations, Government Relations, Corporate Communications, Legal, and System Operation departments, and others to obtain review and secure approvals for regulatory compliance.
- Electrical or Mechanical engineering degree (Bachelor of Science or Master of Science) from an ABET-accredited college or university is required and direct experience in the energy efficiency field is preferred. Business Administration (Finance, Accounting, Marketing major or Masters of Business Administration) or Project Management certification.
- Working knowledge of power systems engineering, marketing and pricing rate design principles and concepts , project management and coordination, usually acquired through college level courses or equivalent experience.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) or Certified Energy Manager (CEM) certifications or thorough knowledge of program management and project engineering principles and concepts usually acquired through college-level training, program engineering experience, and/or via experience with services provided by Energy Service Companies or other utility companies.
- Ability to perform detailed financial analysis using skills usually obtained through completion of Engineering Economics, Capital Investment courses, or similar collegiate course work. Additional course work in Finance, Accounting and Marketing would be desirable.
- Ability to perform independent research and work in a creative, innovative, and motivated fashion.
- Detailed knowledge of personal computers and standard software applications such as Microsoft Office. Knowledge of MS Project, Visio, Microstation, AutoCAD or other Computer Aided Design and Project Management software tools are highly desirable.
- Demonstrated leadership skills including effective written, oral and listening communication skills and interpersonal skills in order to work effectively with all levels of the company and with outside contractors, consultants, governmental agencies, business customers and community groups.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skill with business contracts including the solicitation, negotiation, and management of contracts.
- Demonstrated in-depth analytical and administrative skills for such tasks as preparing and monitoring project requirements and resolving cost and time constraints, conflicting priorities.
- Effective oral, written, listening and platform skills to communicate with all levels inside and outside of the organization.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to handle confrontational, difficult and/or sensitive issues. Ability to handle such issues with professionalism while using tact, courtesy and discretion.
- Must be a self-starter with a clear ability to research, plan, organize, execute, and report on work with little supervision. Ability to perform rate financial analyses for bill impacts or rate alternatives.
- Effective written, oral, and presentation skills. Demonstrated ability to work as a team leader in a matrix organization with team orientation.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects within budget and time constraints.
- Strong interpersonal skills to influence and persuade various groups or individuals.
- Must have or be able to qualify for State of Hawaii driver's license and Hawaiian Electric Company driver's license in order to travel to customer sites on a frequent basis.
- Extensive (8+) years of relevant experience in the field of electrical or mechanical engineering, business administration (finance or marketing) and developing and implementing business plans or related IT projects.
- Several (3-5) years experience in project or program management involving economic analysis and the technical design review and supervision of engineering and/or IT consultants, preferably within the electric utility industry.
How To Apply
Hawaiian Electric Company employees who meet the minimum requirements should apply on-line at HR Suite by clicking on the link: http://hrsuite
(Should you have problems linking to the on-line application, please call the HR Service Center at 543-4848.)
All others who meet the minimum qualifications should apply at hawaiianelectric.com/careers
Submittal of an application for the position:
- Authorizes Hawaiian Electric Company to share any and all information regarding previous or present employment, educational training or personal information from their records and from any other source with the hiring department or subsidiary company;
- Releases and waives Hawaiian Electric Company from any and all liability for any damage which may be claimed as a result of furnishing such information to the hiring department or subsidiary company; and
- Authorizes release and transfer of all personnel records to be maintained by the hiring company in the event of an inter-company transfer.
NOTE: To the extent permitted by law, Hawaiian Electric Company may conduct a criminal conviction record inquiry for the past 10 years.
Hawaiian Electric Company is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. We actively seek diversity among our employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender/sex, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, arrest and court record, sexual orientation, veteran status, or other protected categories in accordance with state and federal laws. If you require accommodations during the application process, please contact the HR Service Center at 543-4848.
Number of Vacancies 1
Work Schedule M-F
Work Hours 7:30a-4:00p
Lunch (Minutes) 30
Primary Work Location Central Pacific Plaza
Hawaiian Electric Company, Inc. (Hawaiian Electric)