April 29, 2014
Duke Energy has released its 2013 Sustainability Report, a comprehensive overview of the company's social, environmental and financial performance.
It is available at: sustainabilityreport.duke-energy.com/
This marks the eighth time the company has produced a Sustainability Report. It outlines a number of sustainability challenges and goals for the nation's largest electric utility.
"Now more than ever, we must operate with a great sense of focus and urgency," said Lynn Good, vice chairman, president and chief executive officer of Duke Energy in her Sustainability Report letter to stakeholders. "In the end, we believe responsible, forward-looking actions will lead to continued long-term success for Duke Energy."
The report provides details on the company's performance in five focus areas - innovative products and services, environmental footprint, quality workforce, strong communities, and governance and transparency - and features a number of employees for their personal sustainability efforts.
It also offers a transparent look at the company as it deals with such issues as coal ash, safety and operational impacts on wildlife.
Among the highlights, Duke Energy:
- Completed a 10-year, $9 billion generation fleet modernization program in 2013 that allowed the company to retire more than 3,800 megawatts of older coal-fired units. That number will grow to about 6,300 megawatts of coal capacity over the next few years.
- Has invested more than $1 billion in digital grid technologies to improve its ability to meet customer demand.
- Added a new goal to increase recycling of solid waste to 80 percent in 2018.
- Helped its communities attract more than 13,700 jobs and $2.9 billion in capital investments to its service territories last year.
- Is on track to own or contract 6,000 megawatts of wind, solar and biomass by 2020.
- Generates about 10 percent of its overall capacity from hydro, wind and solar.
Stay connected with Duke Energy
Headquartered in Charlotte, N.C., Duke Energy is a Fortune 250 company traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol DUK.
For more information :
526 S Church St
Charlotte, North Carolina
United States, 28202-1904
Tel: 704.382.8379 or 24-Hour: 800.559.3853