June 5, 2014
NiSource (NYSE:NI) released its 2013 Inclusion and Diversity (I&D) Report, which highlights the progress toward advancing I&D as an essential part of the company's strategic direction and operational identity. The report details NiSource's commitment, ongoing strategy and achievements through four dimensions of I&D: employees, customers, communities and supplier diversity. The full report is available at http://www.nisource.com/diversity.
"I&D is more than a program at NiSource; it's an ongoing, strategic direction that is part of who we are and how we operate," said NiSource President and CEO Robert C. Skaggs, Jr. "It's about how we think, how we act, and how we speak with one another - how we treat our customers, coworkers and others with whom we do business."
The report provides a sampling of I&D efforts occurring across NiSource and its subsidiary companies. Highlights from the 2013 I&D Report include:
- Building connections, strengthening teams: More than 2,000 employees across the organization are actively involved in I&D efforts through diversity councils, mentoring programs, community events and employee resource groups (ERGs). NiSource currently has four ERGs, which are open to all employees:
- DAWN (Developing and Advancing Women at NiSource)
- GOLD (Generating Opportunities for Latinos and Diversity)
- LEAD (Leadership & Education for African American Development)
- NiVets (an employee group for military veterans and those who support them)
- Providing better customer service: In 2013 an internal team began reviewing the bill design for each NiSource utility to ensure they are easy to read and contain the information customers need and expect to make informed energy decisions - and pay their bill accurately.
- Touching lives, improving communities: NiSource provided about $6.2 million in charitable donations to hundreds of local, regional and national non-profit organizations spanning our service area in 2013.
- Building economic inclusion with diverse suppliers: Last year marked a record year for NiSource - exceeding $100 million in annual direct diverse supplier spending in 2013, supporting business objectives while benefiting local communities. NiSource is on track to achieve a long-term goal of at least 15 percent diverse spend within the next five years.
NiSource Inc., based in Merrillville, Ind., is a Fortune 500 company engaged in natural gas transmission, storage and distribution, as well as electric generation, transmission and distribution. NiSource operating companies deliver energy to 3.8 million customers located within the high-demand energy corridor stretching from the Gulf Coast through the Midwest to New England. Information about NiSource and its subsidiaries is available at www.nisource.com. NI-F
For more information:
801 E 86th Ave
United States, 46410-6272
Contact person: Mike Banas
Tel: (219) 647-5581
Contact person: Randy Hulen
Managing Director, Investor Relations
Tel: (219) 647-5688