Sempra Energy Releases Sixth Annual Corporate Responsibility Report
Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE) released its latest annual corporate responsibility report, detailing the company's sustainable business strategy, goals and results over the past year.
The 2013 report, entitled "Achieving Balance," describes how the company is meeting increasing demand for cleaner energy, responding to customer needs and planning for the future.
"At Sempra Energy, we are successful when we develop and deliver energy that is safe, clean, reliable and affordable," said Debra L. Reed, Sempra Energy's chairman and chief executive officer. "This report describes our responsible use of resources; our focus on building relationships with stakeholders; and our continuing efforts to adapt to changes in our industry."
Highlights from the 2013 report include:
- Emissions: The Sempra Energy family of companies' 2013 carbon-dioxide emissions rate was approximately 40-percent below the U.S. national average, at 708 pounds of carbon dioxide per megawatt-hour of electricity generated.
- Renewable energy: Through its subsidiary Sempra U.S. Gas & Power, Sempra Energy has developed nearly 1,400 megawatts of renewable energy, with a goal to reach more than 2,000 megawatts by 2018.
- Safety: The Sempra Energy companies achieved a consolidated employee recordable incident rate of 2.41 cases per 100 full-time workers in 2013, well below the companies' target of 2.66 cases per 100 full-time workers.
- Reliability: SDG&E continued to strengthen its electric distribution system. A typical SDG&E customer now experiences only one outage every two years.
- Diversity and inclusion: Fifty-six percent of Sempra Energy's U.S. workforce is composed of ethnic minorities.
- Innovation: Southern California Gas Co. introduced four prototype natural-gas vehicles, announced a $1 million innovation fund and received permission to provide compression services for natural gas fueling stations.
Sempra Energy's corporate responsibility report is available online at sempra.com/responsibility.
Sempra Energy has four principal subsidiaries: Southern California Gas Co., San Diego Gas & Electric, Sempra U.S. Gas & Power and Sempra International. San Diego Gas & Electric and Southern California Gas Co. are regulated utilities that provide electricity and natural gas service to more than 20 million California consumers. Sempra U.S. Gas & Power has solar, wind and natural gas-fueled power plants in the U.S. and also owns natural gas storage and pipeline facilities, as well as distribution utilities. Sempra International develops, builds and operates energy infrastructure assets and distributes electricity and natural gas to customers in Mexico, Chile and Peru.
Sempra Energy, based in San Diego, is a Fortune 500 energy services holding company with 2013 revenues of approximately $10.5 billion. The Sempra Energy companies' serve more than 31 million consumers worldwide.
Click here to read forward-looking statements
Sempra International, LLC, and Sempra U.S. Gas & Power, LLC, are not the same companies as the California utilities, San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E) or Southern California Gas Company (SoCalGas), and Sempra International, LLC, and Sempra U.S. Gas & Power, LLC, are not regulated by the California Public Utilities Commission. Sempra International's underlying entities include Sempra Mexico and Sempra South American Utilities. Sempra U.S. Gas & Power's underlying entities include Sempra Renewables and Sempra Natural Gas.
For more information:
101 Ash St
San Diego, California
United States, 92101
Contact person:Maria McGregor, Media Contact
Tel: (877) 340-8875
Contact person:Kendall Helm, Financial Contact
Tel: (877) 736-7727
Contact person:Art Larson
Tel: (866) 257-1298