New IDC MarketScape Evaluates Worldwide Utilities Mobile Field Force Management Software Vendors
IDC Energy Insights has released an IDC MarketScape study that provides utility companies (electricity, gas, water, etc.) with insights into the current capabilities and future strategies of mobile field force management (MFFM) software vendors, guiding them in planning a new MFFM implementation.
IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Utilities Mobile Field Force Management Software, 2014 Vendor Assessment (Doc #EIOS04W) provides a quantitative and qualitative assessment of the characteristics that determine a vendor's current and future success in the MFFM market. The 10 vendors evaluated in this analysis are CGI; Clevest; ClickSoftware; IFS; isMobile; Oracle; SAP; TOA Technologies; Ventyx, an ABB Company; and ViryaNet.
The study shows that:
- Vendors are systematically enriching their product features and functionalities. Many of them have broad capabilities and a future vision that meets and anticipates the needs of utilities.
- Different types of mobile devices and different operating systems (iOS, Android, Windows Mobile, etc.) are agnostically supported by the majority of vendors, but not yet consistently supported by all of them.
- Mobile applications generally support text entry of various data types, dropdown lists, dependent dropdowns (reference data), complex data validation, etc.
- The majority of vendors have deployed integrations with common GIS, EAM, CRM, and ERP systems. GPS solutions and vehicle tracking systems are also integrated. However, each MFFM solution differs in the variety of vendors' applications into which it integrates, as well as the level of available off-the-shelf adaptors.
- Even if utilities still seem to prefer an on-premises installation, the cloud option, specifically multitenancy, is more pervasively offered by vendors, with some of them only offering cloud as a possible delivery model.
"Mobile technologies enable innovation in the area of field worker operations, positively impacting efficiency, safety, worker empowerment, and ultimately supporting the company's business goals of operational excellence as well as the reduction of opex and environmental impact," said Roberta Bigliani, Associate Vice President and head of Europe, Middle East, and Africa, IDC Energy Insights. "Utilities planning to invest in a mobile field force management application should consider this study to get a first independent assessment of software providers. Company-specific business needs, or local market context needs, should also be taken into account. Utilities' individual decisions must be taken in the context of their specific organizational and process maturity, and in consideration of the IT enterprise architecture and application strategy."
About IDC MarketScape
The IDC MarketScape vendor analysis model is designed to provide an overview of the competitive fitness of ICT suppliers in a given market. The research methodology uses a rigorous scoring methodology based on both qualitative and quantitative criteria that results in a single graphical illustration of each vendor's position within a given market. IDC MarketScapes provide a clear framework in which the product and service offerings, capabilities and strategies, and current and future market success factors of IT and telecommunications vendors can be meaningfully compared. The framework also gives technology buyers a 360-degree assessment of the strengths and weaknesses of current and prospective vendors.
About IDC Energy Insights
IDC Energy Insights assists energy businesses and IT leaders, as well as the suppliers that serve them, in making more effective technology decisions by providing accurate, timely, and insightful fact-based research and consulting services. Staffed by senior analysts with decades of industry experience, our global research analyzes and advises on business and technology issues facing the utility and oil and gas industries. International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology market. IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading technology, media, research, and events company.
For more information:
IDC Energy Insights
5 Speen Street
United States, 01701
IDC Energy Insights
Tel: +44 20 8987 7111
Contact person:IDC Energy Insights